The new BMW M3 e92
Source: BMW Group
Fourth-generation of the BMW M3, all-new, unique high-performance sports car from BMW M GmbH with unprecedented design and technology, developed on the basis of the BMW 3 Series Coupé:
• Unique character and supreme driving dynamics secure leading position in the market segment, unique combination of engine power and low weight ensured by intelligent lightweight technology, power-to-weight ratio 3.8 kg/hp.
• First-ever BMW M3 with an eight-cylinder power unit, all-new V8 displacing 4.0 litres and developing maximum output of 309 kW/420 hp plus peak torque of 400 Nm/295 lb-ft at 3,900 rpm, maximum engine speed 8,400 rpm, optimum power and torque throughout the entire engine speed range.
• Individual throttle butterflies, variable double- VANOS camshaft control, Brake Energy Regeneration, engine weight 15 kg/33 lb less than the six-cylinder in the former model.
• Acceleration to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, top speed limited electronically to 250 km/h (155 mph), average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 12.4 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 22.8 mpg Imp).
• Manual six-speed gearbox with integrated, temperature-related oil cooling, mass inertia-optimised double-plate clutch.
• MDrive for setting and retrieving the driver’s specific configuration of the engine control map, suspension and DSC set-up, as well as the Servotronic control map as an additional option.
• All-new suspension with special, weight-optimised components as well as axle kinematics characteristic of BMW M for a highly dynamic driving experience, forged aluminium track control arms, compound high-performance brake system, optional Electronic Damper Control ( EDC) with three freely available control maps.
• First production vehicle in its segment with carbon-fibre-reinforced roof, carbon fibre serving to reduce the weight of the vehicle and enhance agility by lowering the centre of gravity, carbon-fibre roof in visible technology symbolising exclusivity and a direct link to motorsport.
• Authentic BMW M design underlining the athletic look of the car, aluminium engine compartment lid with a striking powerdome as a clear signal of supreme power and performance, characteristic front end with large air intake scoops, muscular, powerfully flared wheel arches.
• Air intake gills in the front side panels, M-specific side-sills accentuating the concept of rear-wheel drive, discreet spoiler lip reducing lift forces at the rear, roof in clearly visible carbon-fibre look, dual tailpipes typical of BMW M.
• High-quality, sophisticated and perfectly appointed interior with a wide range of customisation, innovative colour and materials concept, four seats, BMW Individual high-end audio system tailored to the car as an option, model-specific paintwork and equipment variants highlighting the exclusivity of the new BMW M3.
Entering each new season in motorsport, we feel new and fresh ambition, query formally proven recipes for success, and focus on new records and outstanding achievements. And precisely this also applies to the debut of the new BMW M3: Having completed its test cycle with flying colours, the new high-performance sports car from BMW M GmbH is ready and waiting to take over pole position. Indeed, with its superior power, performance and dynamism, the new BMW M3 ensures truly unique sheer driving pleasure of the highest calibre. The new, 309 kW/420 hp V8 power unit offers enormous muscle and performance at all times. And the aesthetic design of the new car typical once again of BMW M spells out supremacy of the highest standard. The new BMW M3 sets the foundation for continuing an exceptional career in motorsport. So every enthusiast sharing the passion for supreme performance may be sure that this model is able to master even the greatest challenge on and off the race track. And last but certainly not least, the new BMW M3 offers the supreme standard of reliability and everyday driving qualities so typical of all high-performance cars from BMW M GmbH.
The all-new “heart” of the latest BMW M3 is the eight-cylinder power unit which, through its high-speed engine concept alone, comes with all the DNA of the current Formula 1 engine raced by the BMW Sauber F1 Team. Applying this high-speed concept characteristic of all BMW M power units, the new V8 develops maximum output of 309 kW/420 hp from engine capacity of precisely 3,999 cc. Further equally impressive factors are the engine’s peak torque of 400 Newton-metres or 295 lb-ft as well as maximum engine speed of 8, 400 rpm.
Truly unprecedented, however, is the thrust and pulling force generated through this unique potential, conveying the supreme power of the engine through the variable M differential lock to the rear wheels. Precisely this is why the new BMW M3 is not only outstandingly responsive in its acceleration, but also completely shattering in the way it develops its power: Acceleration to 100 km/h comes in just 4.8 seconds, and the car continues this mind-boggling performance with fascinating consistency all the way to its top speed of 250 km/h or 155 mph, where the engine electronics set an artificial limit to the ongoing power and performance of the new BMW M3.